Royal Caribbean International presents the entertainment to take centre stage aboard the highly anticipated Icon of the Seas. The first-of-its-kind vacation will premiere in January 2024 with a bold, new lineup of full-scale events spanning the cruise line’s four iconic “stages” – air, ice, water, and theatre – as well as more live music and comedy than ever before. The playbill of entertainment on Icon is designed for every type of family and vacationer, from the first production of “The Wizard of Oz” at sea and a live show band extravaganza to the inaugural cast of robots, skateboarders, and more.
The variety of productions and performances will come to life across Icon day and night, thanks to Royal Caribbean, the world’s largest provider of live entertainment. More than 75 world-class performers will be featured at the all-new AquaDome and its next-level AquaTheater, the Royal Theatre, and the Absolute Zero ice arena, all of which feature the latest innovations such as 3D flying systems and robot arms that act as diving boards for high divers. Beyond the stage, 50 live musicians and comedians will set the tone at Icon and its various locations, including the new Lou’s Jazz ‘n Blues and Duelling Pianos, as well as all-time favourites with a twist like Schooner Bar and the Point & Feather English pub.
“At the heart of so many of the memories made on Royal Caribbean vacations is a combination of live entertainment that’s unmatched in the vacation industry, and we’re taking it to the next level on Icon of the Seas,” said Nick Weir, senior vice president, entertainment, Royal Caribbean International. “If you’re a fan of full-scale productions on Broadway and the West End or live music and comedy in hot spots like Las Vegas, Icon has it all for every mood and style in one vacation – alongside never-before-seen twists only found on Royal Caribbean.”
Highlights of the entertainment vacationers have in store on Icon include:
Deck-Defying Feats in the AquaDome
- “Aqua Action!” – Combining technological and physical feats, this high-octane production debuts a new kind of cast. Olympic-level high divers, skateboarders, aerialists, slackliners and synchronized swimmers come together with high-tech firsts, like a double 3D flying system and robots doubling as diving boards and set creators, to blur the lines between live-action movies and theatrical experiences.
- “Pirates vs. Mermaids” – A mythical world comes to life in this show with a combination of a light-hearted storyline, fairytale characters and humour for both the adults and kids. Pirates and mermaids go tail to toe to show off their greatest feats and see who really rules the ocean after all.
Encore-Worthy Acts in the Royal Theatre
- “The Wizard of Oz” – The first cruise line to debut the classic tale of Dorothy’s adventure to Oz – and with a modern twist. Royal Caribbean’s rendition of this favourite across generations features characters soaring above the audience, a revolutionary set design with never-before-seen stage effects, more than 600 costume elements and an original score performed by a new 16-piece orchestra.
- “SHOWBAND! Live. Music. Now.” – This must-see, must-hear event for music lovers will spotlight 16 talented musicians. By combining their chart-topping skills with the venue’s cutting-edge sound and video technology, the show conductor and string, woodwind, brass and percussion instrumentalists will harness the power of live music to fully immerse the audience in an all-out sensory experience.
Cool-as-Ice Twists and Turns in Absolute Zero
- “Starburst: Elemental Beauty” – The awe-inspiring, artistic interpretation of the periodic table of elements is at the heart of this thrilling story about the building blocks of life. The Olympic-level ice cast will wow with powerful, high-speed choreography that packs more tricks and higher jumps, made possible by the design of the new oval-shaped ice arena that takes the cruise line’s introduction of the first ice rink at sea in 1999 to new heights yet again. Along with jaw-dropping digitally mapped backdrops and vibrant lighting displays, the show will be a fully immersive experience.
- “Once Upon a Time: The King’s Royal Ball” – This ultimate gathering of famous fairytale superstars is especially tailor-made for young vacationers and their families. Timeless tales will take everyone on a nostalgic ride through their childhood with twists and surprising new details not part of the originals.
Beyond the Stage
- Music lovers, fans of comedy and everyone in between can enjoy tunes, dance moves and laughs at every turn. From rhythm and rhyme to a rotating setlist of all-time chart-toppers across rock, pop, Caribbean beats, Latin music and more, nine hotspots on Icon are an ode to live music and the greatest genres. A night out all about the laughs is where the Manhattan-inspired Comedy Club comes in, with three comedians that make a date night or friends night out one to remember – for the adults only.
- “SHIPS AHOY!” – Scalawags, swashbucklers, and sailors of all types will take over the reimagined Royal Promenade with their fleets and flotillas that carry hundreds of shipmates from the past and present as they meet for a show of skills and battle of the wits
Vacationers can go behind the scenes to see how all the entertainment is created in the latest episode of Royal Caribbean’s monthly video series, “Making an Icon: Creating Show-Stopping Entertainment.”
The first-of-its-kind combination of the best of every vacation – from the resort getaway to the beach escape and the theme park adventure – is where everyone can build memories together and on their own terms. Six record-breaking water slides; seven pools – one for every day of the week – a stay-all-day neighbourhood designed for young families; entertainment across air, ice, water, and stage; 40-plus ways to dine and drink; and more across eight neighbourhoods that are destinations in and of themselves are among the game-changing experiences in store.
Adventurers on Icon’s 7-night vacations can explore the islands of the eastern and western Caribbean and The Bahamas, including Basseterre, St. Kitts & Nevis; Roatan, Honduras; Cozumel, Mexico; and Royal Caribbean’s award-winning private destination, Perfect Day at CocoCay, and its new adults-only Hideaway Beach (opening January 2024).