More than three million passengers are expected to board Carnival Cruise Line ships bound for Mexican ports this year. That number is expected to rise to 3.5 million by 2024 as the cruise line celebrates Cinco de Mayo by spotlighting these numbers.
Approximately 1.6 million passengers are expected to visit the port of Cozumel on Carnival cruises this year, making it the most popular destination in Mexico. Progreso, Costa Maya, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas, Ensenada, and Mazatlan are other Mexican ports that Carnival ships frequently call in.
Carnival provides a variety of tours and excursions around Mexico. Here are five famous Carnival excursions in Cozumel, the cruise line’s most popular Mexican destination.
Five Experiences Popular Among Carnival Guests Visiting Cozumel
- The Ancient City of Tulum. This tour brings guests to the ancient Mayan paradise kingdom of Tulum. Guests learn the history of Mayan culture and see a former Mayan trade site that stands atop a cliff. A guided tour explores the main temples of “El Castillo,” the Temple of the Descendent God, the Maya Water Temple, and the Temple of the Frescoes.
- Adventure Jeep, Snorkel & Anemona Beach Club: The natural beauty of Mexico’s east coast is on full display during this tour. Punta Sur Ecological Park is the largest nature reserve in Cozumel. It includes Anemona de Mar Beach Club, one of the most exclusive, secluded and untouched beaches in the natural reserve, and a visit to the Celarain Lighthouse. This picturesque place provides the perfect backdrop for a tequila-tasting session.
- Tabasco’s Chef Maestro, Cooking & Tasting: Guests learn the secrets of traditional Mexican regional cuisine as they prepare a delicious three-course meal under the guidance of a master chef. Along with the meal, guests also learn how to prepare a perfect margarita.
- Amazing Secret River: One of the Cozumel region’s most unique natural treasures is a series of caverns connected by underground waterways called the Rio Secreto Natural Reserve. Guests are guided through an underground world to marvel at natural formations as they wade through the many caverns and swim in the crystal-clear cenote.
- Xcaret Park: Thanks to its privileged location next to the Caribbean Sea in the Mayan jungle, among underground rivers and cenotes, Xcaret Park offers a wide variety of different activities for guests to enjoy, from the aviary that provides sanctuary to more than 1,500 native birds to the underground Blue, Manatee and Mayan rivers and the aquarium that showcases the richness of Mexico’s coral reefs, Xcaret Park and its attractions honour Mexico’s natural wonders and the wildlife that inhabit them.
As the first cruise line in history to carry over 100 million passengers, Carnival Cruise Line is also the most popular cruise line in the United States. For more than 50 years, Carnival has led the way in making cruise vacations more accessible and more popular.
More than 40,000 employees from 120 countries help make Carnival’s operations possible at its 14 U.S. and 2 Australian homeports. There are now 25 ships in Carnival’s fleet, and the company is expanding rapidly with the addition of three ships in the next two years.