NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian says there is still a level of concern about the way this virus has spread “fleetingly” between some cases.
New Zealand has halted its quarantine-free travel bubble with New South Wales as Sydney battles a growing Covid outbreak.
The pause took effect from 11.59pm Tuesday night and is scheduled to last for 72 hours, the NZ Government announced earlier on Tuesday evening.
“This decision follows a public health assessment which determined that while the overall risk to public health in New Zealand currently remains low, there are still several unknowns, including a case that was infectious while in the Sydney community and a primary-school-age child with no clear link established at present,” Covid Response Minister Chris Hipkins said.
“The NZ Government is taking a precautionary approach and will review the decision to pause again on Thursday.”
There are now 21 community cases linked to the highly infectious Delta virus strain with 10 new cases reported on Tuesday in New South Wales.
Passengers on two flights that travelled between Sydney and Wellington have been identified as close contacts.
It includes Qantas flight QF163 which departed Sydney just after 7pm last Friday and arrived in Wellington on Saturday at about 12am.
Air New Zealand flight NZ247 which flew out from Wellington at 10am on Monday and arrived in Sydney at 11.30am has also been flagged.
New South Wales Health issued the alert – and has asked everyone on the flights to get tested and isolated for 14-days.
By Joe Cusmano